Thursday, September 21, 2017

Dad's Home Cooking - A Tribute

I often joke that the best Vietnamese food anywhere is wherever my dad is cooking. I was blessed to have him come cook for me for over a week, and I need to pay a little tribute to his delicious food! So this is a little gallery dedicated to Dad's home cooking.  I grew up eating these dishes, so this week was like a walk down memory lane to all my childhood favorites, and the requests I would make when I came home from college. With the exception of some soy sauce here and there, these are all gluten-free and dairy-free too!  What's missing are all the desserts he made for me (#diabeticweek) and all the "American" food that he also cooked for me, including pancakes, omelets, bacon & egg croissant sandwiches, etc.  I ate really, really well last week, AND I have 5 days worth of leftovers so I don't have to cook during this short period while home alone.  Thanks Dad!!!  You're the best!!!  Let me know when you finish writing  your cookbook, I think all my friends and neighbors will happily pre-order it. ;-)

Sums up my week - I take care of my baby, while Dad cooks for his baby (me!)

A classic - Phở tái

Vietnamese Ramen (Mì) with roast pork and baby bok choy

Sauteed beef over tomato, lettuce, and quick pickled onions

Sauteed shrimp and stir fried green beans

Stir fried tofu with mushroom and  glass noodles

Vietnamese Shaking Beef (Bò lúc lắc) - cubed tenderloin stirfried with mushrooms and onions

Bánh cuốn - Vietnamese crepes filled with pork and mushroom.  Dad topped himself and made the crepe batter from scratch instead of his usual pre-made mix!

Stir fried beef with baby bok choy and sauteed zucchini

 Thịt kho (Vietnamese caramelized pork)

No comments:

Post a Comment