Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Baby Projects!

Well ok, only one baby project.  I bought a sewing machine a few weeks back and I needed an easy project to orient myself to my new piece of awesomeness.  Now that the baby laundry is done, the car seat is installed, the stroller is assembled and we've found a home for everything, we're just waiting for the baby to show up!  That means it's time to finally open up that beautiful Innovis F420 and start a project.

So shiny and new!!
So many options!!  Also - I wasn't sure how much I'd like the knee lift, but it turns out that I love it!!

And it comes with a snazzy cover.  It also has the option for an extended table, but I decided to wait until we move to Dubai since I won't be quilting until then anyway.
I love baby projects.  I mean honestly, what's not to love?  It's hugely satisfying to the engineer in me to cut, measure, and assemble something.  Baby projects are quick because babies are small!  Baby projects are super forgiving because babies don't care if your seams aren't perfectly straight.  Baby projects are adorable because...well, babies!  I also love to give new mom's a fun hand-made gift to go along with what might be on their baby registry.  I started going through my list of projects that I'd been saving up and found the perfect "easy" project to help me learn the ins and outs of my machine.

She won't be able to use them for a few years, but I decided to make our baby a set of fabric letters. It's a great project for squeezing in a little bit here and there - each letter takes less than 5 minutes to pin and less than 5 minutes to sew, so I can put as much or as little time into it as I have at the moment.  Perfect for a new almost-mom!  I printed the letters and I'm using a charm pack of fun floral prints, some felt to stabilize the letters, and black thread to outline the letters.  I haven't decided if I want to quilt the letters with a lighter thread, but I have plenty of time to make that decision!

Each of the letters outlined in black, then cut with pinking shears to prevent fraying
So far, I'm about a third of the way through the alphabet, and I love how the letters are turning out. I'm hoping baby shows up before I finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment